How confident are you in your business? In your skills?
We recently took one of our dogs to our local veterinarian and he recommended a test for her – one that he felt was outside his specialty.
- He didn’t tell us he’d do the test.
- He didn’t hire someone else to do it as a pass through.
- He did give us 3 referrals, in his order of preference (with a “why” for each) and the exact language to use to get a quick (not “walk-in emergency”) appointment.
Are you that confident in your business?
- Are you happy to refer clients to someone else who can serve them better – whether for a single project or longer-term, regardless of whether or not you receive a referral commission?
- Do you focus on your gifts and either add more training or niche yourself as a specialist or do you act as an authority just to get the client?
- Is “what’s best” for your client/potential client always at the forefront or if they do a consult with you and others and choose someone else, do you feel you “lost” or that someone else “stole” *your* client?
There are several types of confidence and one of them is knowing that you’re great at what you do or. . .if that isn’t yet the case, that you get the training/skillset to make it so.
And, if you are great at what you do, you’re sharing that through a well-planned and implemented marketing strategy.
My Request to You:
Do you have enough confidence in your abilities, and business, to actively refer clients to someone who is better suited, knowing that a more ideal client for you is around the corner?
If not, it’s time to assess your “business assets” – and this is a perfect time of year to do it:
- How do you serve your clients? Can you add to your list of programs, products, and services?
- Do you have a marketing plan in place? Are activities simply plunked in or is there a strategy behind everything?
- What media, besides online, do you use for your business (we use direct mail, fax, online, social media and phone)?
- What was the last training you took? Is it time for another? What subject?
- Do you have a mentor? Do you need one to reach your goals?
Now that you’ve assessed your business assets, what are you going to do next?
© 2011 Sandra Martini